Although, we are, presently, experiencing, a Sellers Market, in housing, which, we have never seen, in recent memory, to this extent, and, resulting, escalating, home prices, and, far – more, qualified, potential buyers, than houses, for – sale, instead, of over – reacting, etc, a smart buyer, will take the time, and make a concerted effort, to better understand, and, truly, appreciate, those significant factors, which every buyer, should! These factors, are, of course, in addition, to closely, examining, the specific features, and quality, of the house! With, that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 7 key ones, and why, they matter.
1. Area/ region/ neighborhood: Consider, what you like, and don’t, about a specific area, region, and/ or, neighborhood! What are the strengths, weaknesses, and neutral considerations? If, you are familiar, with the area, why are you attracted to it, and what does it offer? If, you are not, do some research, speak to neighbors, and drive – around, and observe!
2. Your personal, present/ foreseeable – future considerations: Each of us, is unique, in certain ways! Since, for most, their home’s value represents, their single – biggest, financial asset, it is wise to pay keen attention, to what you are seeking, and differentiate between, your present and foreseeable – future needs, priorities, and goals, and how a specific house, might, serve your purpose! What attracts you, and not, and, why?
3. Real estate taxes: Remember, often, real estate taxes, are a significant component/ part, of your monthly costs, of home ownership! When, doing your calculations, don’t forget to seriously, consider, the impacts of these!
4. Safety/ crime: Examine the area’s relative – safety, and crime figures! For most, living in a safe neighborhood, is a most, significant factor! Look at the data, rather than, just asking someone!
5. Conveniences: How convenient is the location, especially, as it relates to your needs, and priorities? Is it, close to shopping, markets, drug stores, etc? How about access to mass transit? Is it easy and convenient, to use a car, etc?
6. School quality: If, you presently, have, or plan, to have a family/ children, or, even, if you don’t (because it affects, future resale values), examine the reliable data, regarding the quality of the local school system! Many states publish official data, etc!
7. Your personal comfort zone: What makes you feel comfortable, and how, would a particular property, enhance your enjoyment, etc? Do all the facts, fit into your personal comfort zone, especially, in terms of costs, monthly expenses, area, location, and all other relevant factors? Remember, if you aren’t comfortable, you probably, shouldn’t purchase that specific house!
Be a smarter home buyer! Consider these, and any other, personally – significant factors, carefully, before making a final decision!